Transforming the staff bank through process redesign at London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
£500,000 cost savings annually from rate harmonisation
81% average staff bank fill rate, filling an additional 500+ shifts monthly
500% staff bank growth in the first 6 months
Est. £250,000 saved from converting agency locums to staff bank
Escalated shifts reduced, from 72% to only 12%
40% of shifts released 6 weeks in advance, up from 0%
Previously, the medical staff bank team at London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNW) was experiencing operational challenges due to complex and manual processes. Vacancies were released at the last minute, often resulting in high agency spend and escalated pay rates. Additionally, vital data was fragmented or simply not recorded, meaning accurate temporary staffing reports could not be produced.
LNW worked collaboratively with Patchwork to implement their tech-enabled staff bank service. Together, they identified key goals, streamlined processes and workflows, and created a clearly defined operational structure, roles and responsibilities within the staff bank team.
Staff Bank Growth & Increased Fill Rate
- 500% staff bank growth in the first 6 months
- 81% average shift fill rate with 500+ more shifts filled monthly
Reduced Agency Reliance
- Est. £250,000 saved on agency premiums for every 10 agency locums actively converted to the staff bank
Increased Rate Control
- £500,000 saved annually through harmonised bank rates
- Decrease in shifts paid at escalated rates, from 72% shifts to only 12%
within five months.
Efficient Lead Times
- 40% of shifts released 6 weeks in advance (in line with NHSEI targets), up from 0%.
- Onboarding lead time reduced from 6 weeks to 1 week